1 Canadian J. Corrections 15 (1958-1959)
Forensic Clinic of the Toronto Psychiatric Hospital

handle is hein.journals/cjccj1 and id is 17 raw text is: The Forensic Clinic
Of The
Toronto Psychiatric Hospital
R. EDWARD TURNER, M.D., Director
HARRY C. HUTCHISON, Ph.D.,
Chief Psychologist
LORRAINE O'DONNELL WILLIAMS, M.S.W.,
Chief Social Worker
A review of the psychiatric facilities in prisons and correctional insti-
tutions in the United States was made in 1954 by Wille.1 It was noted
that, in several states, machinery existed for psychiatric evaluation for
mentally disturbed inmates in regional outpatient clinics. However, there
seemed to be no forensic outpatient clinic that was closely affiliated with
both a psychiatric or mental hospital and a medical school. Benedict2
reported this year the creation by the New York City Department of
Corrections of a Diagnostic Centre which provides both diagnostic and
treatment service in sentence and detention institutions. Again, the
emphasis of this admittedly important service was on the psychiatric care
of prison inmates. Stoller3 recently surveyed the teaching of forensic
psychiatry in American and Canadian centres. He made a plea for the
wider use of psychiatric knowledge in forensic issues for the courts, judges,
law-schools and attorneys as well as an improved undergraduate and post-
graduate training in forensic psychiatry. However, we believe that the
Forensic Clinic of the Toronto Psychiatric Hospital is attempting to
fulfil services in each of these three areas - (a) an active and vital
affiliation of forensic psychiatry in the psychiatric or mental hospital and
medical school; (b) of the extension of psychiatry to offenders other than
actual inmates; and (c) as a contribution to the teaching of forensic
psychiatry, already established, to the undergraduates and postgraduates
in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Toronto.
The Forensic Clinic was formed as a new outpatient division of the
Toronto Psychiatric Hospital in May 1956. It arose out of public con-
cern over sexual perversions, especially assaults on children, which had
resulted in three tragic deaths of children in the winter of 1955-56. Con-
siderable alarm and outcry was manifest in the press. An open meeting
was held in Massey Hall in Toronto, in January 1956, with a panel of
four experts- Dr. Ralph Brancale, Dr. Kenneth Gray, Dr. Manfred
Guttmacher and Dr. Fred van Nostrand. As a result of this meeting,
and recommendations of a committee of further experts, the Department
of Health of the Province of Ontario opened the Forensic Clinic under
the direction of Dr. Peter G. Thomson, for the study and treatment of
persons charged with criminal offences, particularly sexual ones. It should
be added that a most important contribution was made by Dr. Kenneth

What Is HeinOnline?

HeinOnline is a subscription-based resource containing nearly 2,700 academic and legal journals from inception; complete coverage of government documents such as U.S. Statutes at Large, U.S. Code, Federal Register, Code of Federal Regulations, U.S. Reports, and much more. Documents are image-based, fully searchable PDFs with the authority of print combined with the accessibility of a user-friendly and powerful database. For more information, request a quote or trial for your organization below.



Short-term subscription options include 24 hours, 48 hours, or 1 week to HeinOnline with pricing starting as low as $29.95

Access to this content requires a subscription. Please visit the following page to request a quote or trial:

Already a HeinOnline Subscriber?